(586) 944-1651


US Citizenship for Your Children

Posted by James Dick
marzo 29, 2022

Whether you live in the United States or abroad, being a US citizen has benefits. One of those benefits is being able to obtain US citizenship for your children in some circumstances. If you are a United States citizen, but live abroad, your children may be able to obtain citizenship through you if the following criteria is met:

  • Your child is unmarried;
  • Your child must take the Oath of Allegiance before the age of 18;
  • You and your child regularly reside outside of the United States;
  • Your child is in your legal and physical custody;
  • You resided in the United States for at least 5 years in total, 2 of which were after the age of 14;
  • If you do not meet the residency requirements, your US citizen parent (your child’s grandparent) can satisfy the above requirements to petition for your child’s US citizenship;
  • Your child must enter the United States lawfully at the time of their interview with US Customs and Immigration Services.

About the Author

Born in the United States, I was raised in Canada before returning to the states and joining the United States Coast Guard. I served in the U.S. Coast Guard for 7 years before an injury led to my separation from the service. During this period of service, I received the Coast Guard Meritorious Se…

Contact Us

    Cell Phone*
    How may we be of service?*